Do you remember the Tron movies?
You might find some design similarities with Ecotric’s sleek-styled ebike.
In this review of the latest Ecotric Seagull electric bike, we found the bike to be both modern and full-featured.
And you won’t have to crouch over like the Tron guy to ride one.
With a 1,000-watt motor, hydraulic brakes, and a high-capacity battery, the Seagull has the specs to tackle most road conditions with ease. At $1,260 with free shipping (no shipping cost to 48 states), Ecotric’s Seagull (available in white or black) competes with similarly priced step-level ebikes. This bike isn’t in the cheapest tier of ebikes, but it’s far from the priciest of electric bikes.
Is the Ecotric Seagull the right choice for you? Maybe.
Let’s review the features and find out who the Ecotric Seagull is built to please.
Ecotric Seagull Review: Features Overview
Ecotric opened up shop in 2017, so they’ve been on the electric bike scene longer than some newcomers. During that time, they’ve built out a wide selection of ebikes, now offering more choices than most electric bike companies.
Buyers benefit from a broad selection of ebikes and color choices.
Futuristic good looks and a powerful 1,000-watt motor set the Seagull apart from other ebikes in this price range.
Ecotric piles on the extras with a hydraulic front suspension fork and long-life battery.
Astute observers may notice a red glow on the rear tire pictured below. That’s from the built-in tail light, which is integrated into the battery.
The Seagull electric mountain bike does not have a headlamp. However, in many cases, you’re better served with a brighter aftermarket headlight rather than the comparatively dim lights that ship with many electric bicycles.
Newer Seagull models ship with 26″ x 2.125″ road tires. Older models shipped with all-purpose knobbies, although older models also used a less powerful 500-watt motor. Many ebike riders ride this model on the streets or on light trails, so the choice of street-oriented tires makes sense. A smoother tread also helps extend battery life with reduced rolling resistance.
Ecotric Seagull Review: Key Features
While priced over $1,000, the Seagull combines stylish design with upgraded components to justify the price tag. The result is a value-packed ebike that’s sure to turn heads. Of course, it’s a blast to ride as well.
- Step-over frame: The Seagull sports a modern frame design with a single upper tube stretching from the headtube to the bike’s rear hub. With a standover height of 28 inches, most adult riders can mount the bike easily. Ecotric suggests the Seagull for riders 5’4″ to 6’2″.
- Hydraulic disc brakes: At 65 pounds, the Ecotric Seagull is heavier than many ebikes, so stopping power becomes paramount. Fortunately, Ecotric ships the Seagull with front and rear hydraulic disc brakes featuring 160mm Tektro rotors. Hydraulic brakes provide more stopping power but require less braking effort than mechanical brakes. The Seagull’s brakes work UK style, with the right brake lever operating the front brake rather than the rear as in the US.
- Front suspension with hardtail: The Seagull’s Suntour hydraulic front fork smooths out road imperfections, but there is no rear suspension. Wide 2.125″ tires paired with a suspension front fork helps enhance ride comfort.
- 26″ x 2.125″ tires: The Seagull ships with road tires. So, if you plan to take the Seagull on off-road adventures, you may want to invest in some new sneakers for your bike first. Most tire brands offer all-terrain tires in this size. While they will fit the wheel, you may want to avoid the next size down (26″ x 1.95″) because the larger OEM-spec tires play a role in shock absorption and weight carrying capacity.
Seagull Battery System
- 48V 13Ah Removable Lithium Battery: Tucked behind the seat tube, the powerful 48V battery boasts an integrated tail light with brake light. However, if you choose to install a rack, the tail light may not be visible when the rack is loaded. The 624-watt-hour battery can be removed for charging and features a carrying handle. To remove the battery, you may need to remove the seat using the quick-release latch. Ecotric rates the battery for 400 to 600 charge cycles.
- Up to 25+ Miles of Range with throttle: 624 watt-hours is a respectable battery capacity for modern bikes, and the Ecotric Seagull provides plenty of power for typical riders. Ecotric estimates over 25 miles of range with throttle-only use. Expect a normal range of 35 miles or higher when using pedal assist.
Seagull Drivetrain and Control Features
- 7-speed drivetrain with Shimano shifter: Less is often more when it comes to ebike gearing, but you don’t want too few options either. Ecotric equips the Seagull with a 1×7 drivetrain, giving you gear options for nearly any terrain. A Shimano Tourney derailleur keeps shifts smooth and predictable.
- 1,000-watt rear hub motor: In a market littered with 250 or 350-watt ebikes, Ecotric takes a decidedly different direction by outfitting the Seagull with a 1,000-watt powerhouse. The company doesn’t specify the motor’s peak wattage, which may well be 1,000 watts. If that’s the case, then the motor will operate at lower wattage under normal riding conditions. You’ll have plenty of power on tap for climbing hills and reliable power delivery on flat stretches.
- Throttle mode: You don’t have to pedal the Seagull unless you want to. Throttle mode is available in pedal-assist level 1 or higher. The bike also features a 6 KPH (3.75 MPH) walking mode to help you move the bike up hills when walking.
- 5 pedal assist settings: Pedal assist activates after pedaling 3/4 of a crank using a cadence sensor, and you’ll get the best range using power assist rather than throttle. In addition to pedal assist 0, which is manual mode, the Seagull offers 5 levels of pedal assist. Dial in the level of pedaling assistance you want. Lower levels equal longer battery life but more pedaling effort. Software limits the top pedal assist speed to 20 MPH, making the Seagull a class 2 ebike.
- LCD display: The S900 LCD display provides information about your ride. The same unit is commonly used with other ebikes, so you can get a replacement if needed.
Ecotric Seagull Review: Branded Accessories
With an established market among ebike owners, Ecotric offers a wide variety of branded accessories, including helmets, cargo racks, and more. The company also stocks replacement parts. One of the biggest concerns with buying an ebike is the availability of parts if you need them. Ecotric covers all the bases.
With removable lenses and a rear light to increase visibility, the Ecotric ventilated helmet makes a stylish safety accessory for your Ecotric ebike. After your ride, recharge via included USB cable.
Ecotric Seagull Rear Rack
Custom-fit to the Seagull’s unique frame, the Seagull rear rack rated for 15kg (33 pounds) offers a secure way to carry your gear. Four frame bolts ensure your bike rack stays secured.
Ecotric Saddle Bag
Ecotric-branded and built to last, the Ecotric saddle bag offers convenient storage for small items. When you reach your destination, it quickly detaches and converts to a shoulder bag so you can take it with you.
You can buy accessories separately from Ecotric or buy the bike with a bundle of accessories to save 10% on everything in the bundle (including the bike itself).
Here’s what’s included in the bundle:
- Ecotric Seagull Electric Bicycle
- Ecotric helmet with light
- Seagull Rear rack
- Fenders for Seagull
- Folding lock with password
- Spoke lights
Ecotric Seagull Review: Bike Height
Riders sized 5’4″ up to 6’2″ should be comfortable on the Ecotric Seagull. The seat adjusts from 32 inches to 38 inches using a quick-release clamp.
The standard handlebar height measures 40 inches. Taller riders may wish to replace the stem if they need a higher bar.
Weight carrying capacity for the Ecotric Seagull is rated at 265 pounds.
Who is the Seagull for?
The Seagull’s unique frame design sets it apart even in the ebike world where unconventional bike designs reign. The bike’s sturdy construction makes it well suited to most uses. However, it’s not a mountain bike in the truest sense of the term. Ecotric uses the term ‘mountain bike’ on the product page but lists the bike in the road bike section. The latter is more accurate.
Ecotric’s Seagull makes a competent commuter bike, especially with the add-on rear rack. Wide tires make it a capable performer on light trails as well. However, without knobby tires, expect some slide through the corners at speed.
The bike should serve you well if you plan to use the Seagull for neighborhood rides or commutes. A powerful 1,000-watt motor helps flatten the taller hills while hydraulic brakes bring you safely to a stop. The bike’s Suntour hydraulic fork helps smooth out bumpy rides but isn’t suitable for more challenging mountain bike trails or heavy off-road use.
Ecotric Seagull Purchase Information
With warehouses in the US, Ecotric ships quickly and provides free shipping to addresses in the lower 48 states. The company also offers a 7-day price match. So, if you buy a Seagull and the bike’s price drops within seven days, Ecotric will refund the price difference.
Ecotric ebikes come with an 18-month limited warranty, which is longer than the 12-month warranty offered by many ebike manufacturers. The battery is also covered by the 18-month warranty but will be prorated after 12 months.
The Seagull is also available with 0% financing through PayPal or easy monthly payments through Affirm.
Considering the Ecotric Seagull?
Ecotric often runs promotions. Check the latest pricing before you choose your next ebike.
Shop the latest Ecotric deals now.
Still looking for the right electric bike?
Find the information you need with Project eBike reviews.